The Rehabilitative Care Alliance (RCA) works with partners across Ontario to strengthen and standardize rehabilitative care through better planning, performance management and evaluation and by integrating best practices across the care continuum. The RCA is a provincial collaborative funded by the province's 14 LHINs, and Co-Chaired by Donna Cripps, CEO HNHB LHIN and Dr. Peter Nord, Vice-President, Chief Medical Officer, Chief of Staff, Providence Healthcare.
The HNHB LHIN RCA implements the work of the provincial RCA at the local and sub-region levels. The HNHB LHIN RCA partners include patient advocates, LHIN and ministry funded providers of rehabilitative care. The rehabilitative care programs included are provided or supervised by regulated health professionals (RHPs). As of April 1, 2017, the HNHB LHIN RCA partners adopted the new provincial standardized definitions and eligibility criteria for bedded and community rehabilitative care which includes rehabilitative care provided in hospital-based designated inpatient rehab beds, complex continuing care and convalescent care beds located in long-term care (LTC) as well as rehabilitative care provided in a person’s home or at a community program. This will help patients, families, and referring partners including primary care providers, understand what rehabilitative care is and what to expect.
The Referral Options Tool for Bedded Rehabilitative Care Programs/Services was developed by the RCA to assist referrers when looking for rehabilitative care programs provided in hospital and within convalescent care programs located in LTC. The Referral Options Tool is a standardized provincial tool that provides information for health service providers on the level of rehabilitative care provided, the target population, the location of the program and information on how to refer; this information is outlined below.
Levels of Bedded Rehabilitative Care
- Rehabilitation (high and low intensity)
- Activation Restoration
- Short-Term Complex Medical Management
- Long-Term Complex Medical Management
Standardized provincial definitions for each of these levels of rehabilitative care as well as eligibility criteria have been developed by the RCA. Key features of each of the bedded levels of rehabilitative care are described on the second page of the tool (linked below by sub-region). The eligibility criteria for bedded levels of rehabilitative care can be found in the Appendix section. For full details, see the complete Definitions Framework for Bedded Levels of Rehabilitative Care.
While this resource was developed as a standardized provincial tool, each LHIN has adapted the tool to provide information on rehabilitative care within each LHIN. Below are the bedded referral option tools by HNHB LHIN sub-region.
Bedded Referral Option Tools by Sub-Region
HNHB LHIN RCA Maps and Tables
Maps and tables demonstrate where bedded rehabilitative care programs are located within each HNHB LHIN sub-region:
Levels of Community Rehabilitative Care
Standardized provincial definitions for Progression and Maintenance levels as well as eligibility criteria have also been developed by the RCA. For full details, see the complete Definitions Framework for Community Based Rehabilitative Care.
Community Referral Option Tools by Sub-Region
Community HNHB LHIN Rehabilitative Care Alliance (RCA) Maps
to view the HNHB LHIN RCA maps that outline where community rehabilitative care programs are located within each HNHB LHIN sub-region.
- Presentation, HNHB LHIN hip fracture and TJR self-assessments - January 2019 Presentation, Audio File
- RCA HNHB LHIN hip fracture and TJR self-assessments - January 2019, Full Report
- Presentation, HNHB LHIN RCA - August 2018
- Presentation, HNHB LHIN, RCA - August 2018, Audio File
- Presentation, HNHB LHIN RCA – May 2017
- HNHB LHIN RCA Update – May 2, 2017
- HNHB LHIN & Sub-Region Rehabilitative Care Maps - April 2017
- Provincial RCA website
- Rehabilitative Care Alliance Definitions Framework for Community Based Levels of Rehabilitative Care
- Rehabilitative Care Alliance Definitions Framework for Bedded Levels of Rehabilitative Care
- Transforming Rehabilitative Care in Ontario, a provincial RCA report on its work over the last two years with recommendations to guide the next mandate. A summary report is also available.
- Rehabilitative Care Alliance Eligibility Criteria for Bedded Levels of Rehabilitative Care